The City of Varaždin is located in the North of Croatia on the southern bank of the River Drava. The City is at an altitude between 169 and 173 meters. Varaždin is located at 16° 20’16” east longitude, and 46° 18’30” north latitude. The average annual temperature is 10° C, and the average humidity is 78%. The city lies along the Drava River on a fertile alluvial plain that slopes towards the River Drava from the southwest to the northeast. The plain slightly elevates in Haloze and Varaždin – Toplice Hills. This creates a region defined by natural borders located at the crossroads of Styria, Međimurje, Zagorje and upper Drava Valley.
Varaždin has approximately 50,000 inhabitants, and is the cultural, educational, economic, sporting and tourist center of Northwestern Croatia. It holds 11 ‘Green Flowers’, the national awards for the most ordered city of inland Croatia
Varaždin holds numerous honours and awards:
GREEN FLOWER (ZELENI CVIJET)
- The Croatian Tourist Board has awarded Varaždin the title of best destination of Inland Croatia seven years in a row from 2001 to 2007
- The Green Flower with Gold Trim Award (Zeleni cvijet sa zlatnim znakom) for best ongoing and continuous equipment and horticultural landscaping in 2008, 2009 and 2012
TOURISTIC FLOWER (TURISTIČKI CVIJET) – CROATIAN QUALITY
- An award from the Croatian Chamber of Economy for the best tourist destination in Inland Croatia between 2006 and 2010
- Special recognition and a statue recognising Varaždin’s numerous years of high quality as a tourist destination in Inland Croatia: 2011
- An award from the Croatian Chamber of Economy as the tourist destination in Inland Croatia: 2014
ENTENTE FLORALE EUROPE
- As a part of the ‘Entente Florale Europe’ Project, in 2011 Varaždin was awarded the Silver Flower Award for achieving a high life quality
The City of Varaždin is the capital city of the County of Varaždin which is one of the oldest in Croatia. This region covers the northwestern part of Croatia, comprised of an area of 1,247 square kilometers, which according to the last census of 2001, has 183,730 inhabitants, making this area one of the most densely populated in Croatia.
The City Council Varaždin has formed relations of friendship and partnership with the following cities (in chronological order):